What exactly are Smart Meters?
Smart meters will replace the traditional meters we currently have in our homes and every home in Great Britain will be offered one at no extra cost. Smart meters take regular meter readings and share these wirelessly, through a secure network, with your energy supplier. You don’t need the internet in your home for it to work and it won’t use your internet if you have it, even rural locations will be covered by the network which covers 99.25 % of Great Britain.
Smart Meter Benefits
- Your Smart Meter communicates with your In-Home-Display in the same way as other wireless technology, such as a radio.
- You don’t need internet to have a Smart Meter.
- An In-Home-Display allows you to see how much energy you are using throughout the day.
- It can also be used to show how much your usage is costing you in pounds and pence.
- Your Smart Meter and In-Home-Display will automatically send meter readings to your energy supplier. Meaning you will receive accurate and not estimated bills.
- If you are blind, partially sighted or have difficulties with dexterity or memory loss, contact your energy supplier to find out whether a more accessible In-Home-Display is available to you.
- Customers are given the choice of an In-Home-Display, it isn’t compulsory to use.